Monday, May 30, 2011

OLD CEMETERY IN HÅGAT


I guess you can tell I like cemeteries.  I do.  I have to visit them when I see them, even in foreign countries.

The old cemetery in Hågat is easy to miss if you're not looking for it.  It is located in what was the original site of the pre-war village.  After the war, the population moved south to its present location.  I am old enough (ugh) to remember seeing Hågat called "New Agat."  At the time, I only knew of one Agat.  Where was the old one?  The answer is seen in the photo above.

The church in old Agat was where the 76 gas station is now.


I didn't find too many graves at the old cemetery, and many of them are not attended to and are missing identification.  Not many were very old (pre-war) so I imagine the place got pretty messed up by the pre-liberation bombardment.  Many of the names are easily recognizable as Sumay people, so I assume both neighboring villages shared this cemetery.

But there were a good number of graves from just after liberation.  It is said that some of the victims of the FENA MASSACRE (July, 1944) are buried here in this cemetery.

http://www.airdaleamericanhistory.com/WWII--Agat-SantaRita02.html

No comments:

Post a Comment