Friday, May 20, 2011

FAMILIA : BORJA

grandesp.org.uk

BORJA
Borja is the name of a town (today, of about 5,000 people) in the province of Zaragoza, region of Aragón, in Spain.

There was also in Spain a humble family named "de Borja" which rose like a meteor to produce no less than popes, cardinals, bishops, political leaders and one saint - in sharp contrast to some of the most scandalous members of that family.  Part of the family moved and re-established themselves in Italy where the name is pronounced "Borgia."

The saint, a Jesuit  - Saint Francis Borgia, in Spanish "San Francisco de Borja" - was canonized in 1670, just 2 years after the Catholic mission in the Marianas was established.  Freshly rejoicing in this honor bestowed upon one of their own members, the church in Songsong, Luta (Rota) was named after him by the Jesuit missionaries and remains so today.


en.wikipedia.org

TOWN HALL IN THE TOWN OF BORJA, SPAIN
saints.sqpn.com

SAN FRANCISCO DE BORJA
Saint Francis Borgia
Because of the Jesuit missionaries throughout Latin America and the Philippines, towns named after San Francisco de Borja and churches named in his honor sprung up in many places.  "Borja" started to be used as a last name by local people in Latin America and the Philippines.

There are no Borjas listed in either the 1727 or the 1758 Censuses of Guam.  So, the Borjas came to the Marianas more recently, probably in the late 1700s or early 1800s.  People surnamed Borja from Latin America perhaps, and certainly from the Philippines, moved to Guam during that time.

We know, for example, that one branch of Borjas on Guam (not connected in origin with other Borjas on Guam) came from the city of Zamboanga in Mindanao (Philippines) and their "better-known-as" is Zamboangueño (meaning, someone from Zamboanga).  The founder of this clan was Vicente Bazan de Borja, who married a Chamorro named Maria Cruz Guzman.

One of the oldest Borja males listed in the 1897 Census is Catalino Borja (whose middle name, from other documents, was Mendiola).  Catalino was 68 years old in 1897 (although many ages in the Census are based on faulty human memory), so he was conceivably born on Guam in 1829. 

One Borja married a woman with a truly indigenous surname, Tanoña, and this branch of Borjas are better-known-as the Manaitai clan.

One branch of the Borjas moved to Saipan.  Manuel Mendiola Borja, son of Jose Borja and Gabriela Mendiola, married Ignacia Sablan Diaz, daughter of Ramon Diaz and Rita Sablan.  This couple moved to Saipan and raised their family.  The clan is known as the Tuhu family.

The Borja name is prominent in Sumay/Santa Rita.  That branch was founded by Gregorio Guerrero Borja, who married Alejandra Taitano.  This large clan in Santa Rita is known as the Ånda family (from Alejandra).

Antonio Borja Won Pat (first Guam delegate and later representative to the U.S. Congress; Speaker of the Guam Legislature for many terms) was part of the Ånda clan on his mother's side.  Former Santa Rita Mayor Gregorio Muñoz Borja is another Ånda Borja.  Up in Saipan, a well-known politician, now deceased, was Olimpio Borja.

BORJA AS A FIRST NAME

There are a mere 9,000 people in the entire country of Spain that have Borja for their last name.  The prominence of Borja as a last name in the Philippines and Latin America (and through them to the Marianas) is due to the missionary promotion of the devotion to San Francisco de Borja.  Many indigenous people had to take on last names (most non-Western peoples traditionally do not have a system of using surnames).  Some of them adopted religious names (de la Cruz (of the Cross), de los Reyes (of the Kings, as in Three Kings), de los Santos (of the saints), del Rosario (of the Rosary) and so on).  Some either adopted or were given "de Borja" as a surname in honor of the saint.

But, recently, far more Spaniards have taken "Borja" as a first name, again in honor of the saint.  Thus, in Spain, where just 9,000 people are surnamed Borja, there are 29,000 men with the first name Borja.

In Spain, there are 2 soccer stars and one race car driver with the first name Borja.

alejandro94taker.deviantart.com

BORJA PÉREZ
is such a popular Spanish soccer player they even designed a poster of him running for President, which Spain doesn't have (they have Prime Ministers)

24 comments:

  1. And than there is me Guilherme Borja.
    Portuguese man 24 years old and a DJ...
    www.myspace.com/djkochirakoso

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Borja, and from Zamboanga City, Philippines which is the Asia's Latin City. We speak Chavacano "broken-Spanish". We have Spanish bloodline too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Borja family here which goes by the nickname Zamboangueno because their ancestor was a Borja from Zamboanga. But there are other Borjas here, too, who come from different origins. Interesting!

      Delete
    2. hello relatives, i m from zamboanga philippines , im speaking chavacano or the mis spanish dialect. im searching long time the link to my ancestors or Borja . my name is Reymon Borja , the great grand son of Jose A.S Borja.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. Manuel Mendiola Borja and Ignacia Sablan Diaz are my great-great-grandparents ginen si tata-hu. Familian Tuhu ginen Saipan. By any chance, kao guaha i na'an-niha i manelu-na si Manet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same Great Great grandparents. My Great Grandfater is Joaquin and my Great Grandmother is Maria. Hello there cousin!

      Delete
    2. hello relatives, i m from zamboanga philippines , im speaking chavacano or the mis spanish dialect. im searching long time the link to my ancestors or Borja . my name is Reymon Borja , the great grand son of Jose A.S Borja.

      Delete
    3. Hafa Adai Evin my name is Manuel Borja I too am related to them. I'm from Fernando n Rosalia Borja tuhu familiy please let me know what you know of them. Im putting family tree together. You can reach me 671-777-7299

      Delete
    4. Hafa Adai Elvin, I too am related. My name is Manuel Borja of Fernando n Rosalia Borja tuhu family. Im gathering information for the family tree Im putting together. You can contact me at 671-777-7299

      Delete
    5. My great great grandparents are Manuel Borja and Ignacia Diaz ginen si tata-hu lokkue. Juliana Borja Tudela si nanan-biha

      Delete
  4. My last name is borja but my ancestors are not from guam or Zamboanga. They where from upper mexico and Spain and some parts of italy. From what my family tells me we are a part of the famous borgia family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. My great great great grandmother was nee Maria Sablan de Borja, b.1846 who was married to (Don) Geronimo Angoco Atalig, b.1844. Their family are known as "Familian Kaban" and lived on Rota during the 1800's and a lot are still there. I don't know where Maria de Borja originally came nor who her parents and siblings are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Krezcely Borja and I'm form Zamboanga City. I know of the Borja's in Zamboanga but my relatives tell me that my great great grandparents cam from Bicol. I think my great great grandfather is Mauricio Borja and he either married or his sister is named Rosita Borja.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about my family, the Borja's from Guanajuato Mexico, but that migrated to United States? Any connections out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would need documents to show that a Borja from Guanajuato, Mexico (or their descendant) who moved to the US then moved to Guam. Unfortunately, the documents we do know about so far don't show this.

      Delete
  8. I'm not from Zamboanga. I'm from Batanes. I'm looking for a link from where Don Teofilo De Borja came from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm Janna Borja and my grandfather is from Bulan Sorsogon,where he is known as Delfin Borja

    ReplyDelete
  11. De Borja are a very prominent name in Pateros Philippines, serving in both government and church during the Spanish Era and there after. After the Pateros Revolution against the Spaniard, many involve were detain and sent to the Marianas Island (Guam) around 1896. The are roads and land marks still remains in Pateros that are named after them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are Borjas related to Borias? I've been trying to find the real origin of Boria and some websites says something about it possibly being Italian, other sources says that it could be a variant of Boris, another source says that it could be Catalan and another says that It could be an incorrectly written last name and that its original spelling is Borja

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello I am a Borja my Dad Salvador Aguilera Borja family is from Irapuato Guanajuato Mexico I am looking for his family tree. My Dad passed in 2014 an trying to put together a family tree my grandfather name was Casemiro Borja he married Isabella Aguilera They move to the United States of America I believe they first live in Chicago then moved to Los Angeles California my aunts an uncles names are Anna Borja Quiroz, Socorro Borja Ybarra, Rudy Borja, Ruben Aguilera Borja an my father Salvador Aguilera Borja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could help you but I am able to do genealogical research for people in the Marianas. I looked on Ancestry.com and there's not much on your family. Just your father's funeral. Is it possible for you to make a trip to Irapuato and pursue birth records from government and church sources? The only thing is doing so won't be speedy. It will take weeks. Perhaps a relative living in Irapuato can follow up once you have gone and started the process. Buena suerte!

      Delete