Monday, July 25, 2011

IS IT CLEAR NOW?


NOW we know which Anita you're talking about!

When I was a kid, my mañaina would often call their sister Ana "Anan Vicente."  Likewise, their brother-in-law was "Vicenten Ana."  Otherwise, there are just too many Anas and Vicentes to know which one you're talking about.

So we attach the name of your husband or wife, mother or father to your name, and now it's clear that we're talking about you.

When I was a priest in Malesso', one of the ladies always referred to her husband Juan as "Yannek-ko."  I spelled that the way it's pronounced.  It's really "John-neh-ko," as in "Johnny-ko."  "My Johnny."

That's another thing we can do.  Si Rita-mo, si Titde-mo, si Kiko-mo.  Your daughter Rita, your wife Titde, your husband Kiko.  Now we know which Rita, Titde or Kiko we're talking about.

1 comment:

  1. Ai Adai Pale!
    Brought back memories of that lady that referred to her husband as "Yanekko" I totally remember her, Si Rosalia, Si Auntie Lung!

    ReplyDelete