Friday, July 31, 2020


In the 1500s

In 1856, a smallpox epidemic on Guam erupted, killing half of the island's population. I have a blog post on it here :

But in this post I want to show the numbers. Just how much the population declined due to the epidemic.

These figures come from the missionaries on Guam. They, in turn, could have gotten them from the government but they also could have gotten these statistics on their own, as they kept records of baptisms and deaths. In fact, there were no "birth certificates" at the time. People had to get their baptismal certificate from the priest to show proof of birth and parentage, since everyone at the time was Catholic and everyone got baptized.

The missionaries reported how many people lived in the capital city and the outlying villages the year before the epidemic, and how many died the year of the epidemic. Many things "killed" people in 1856; old age, accidents, other diseases. Not every death, therefore, can be attributed to the smallpox but the large majority could be because if a village had 10 deaths in 1855 but in 1856 had 150 deaths, something unusual must have happened in 1856.

For Hagåtña, included in the numbers were people from Aniguak, Sinajaña, Mongmong, Asan and Tepungan (which later became Piti in American times) because these villages were all considered districts of the capital city. They didn't even have their own priest; the priest of Hagåtña had care over them.
























Statistics around this time will be all over the place, depending on the source. Some government reports will give different numbers for the population of Guam in 1856, the year of the epidemic. Those reports will give different numbers for how many died and how many survived.

But the differences are not drastic. They mostly hover around 8000 people at the time of the epidemic, and 4000 after the epidemic, or a 50% reduction in population. Half of Guam - gone in a year!


Newspapers in 1857 reported that there was starvation on Guam at the time. It makes sense. If people were dying left and right from smallpox, it means that there were far less people to tend the farms and crops died. Thus, there must have been a food shortage on Guam following on the heels of the epidemic.


It's interesting that Malesso' and Inalåhan were devastated by the epidemic worse than Pågo, if the missionaries' numbers are right, but it was Pågo that the Spaniards closed down, not those two southern villages. I suppose the difference was the fact that Pågo was closer to Hagåtña and the people didn't have to travel far to move there and to Sinajaña where a number of Pågo people transferred. But to close down the southernmost villages of Guam and transfer the survivors north would have been too drastic a change for them.

Closed after the Smallpox Epidemic of 1856

Monday, July 27, 2020



Pigo' (later Holy Cross) Cemetery was the main cemetery of Hagåtña before the war, as it is now. There were private cemeteries, a Baptist cemetery and a Navy cemetery as well. But Pigo' was the main graveyard and owned by the Church.

It went back to the 1870s and so there were graves in Pigo' since Spanish times, their lápida or headstones written in Spanish. Here are two of them, but I will focus on the one on the right.

Although blocked in large part by the wooden fence, so that we cannot identify whose grave it is, we see enough to know it is written in Spanish.

The top of the lápida has the initials D.O.M.

These stands for the Latin expression "Deo Optimo Maximo," which means "To God the Best and the Greatest."

Next we can see the Spanish "Aquí yacen los restos mortales de..." which means "Here lie the mortal remains of..."

The name of the deceased should follow and it looks like it says "María" and then what looks like "Borja." The BOR is clear, which means it can only either be Borja or Bordallo, and there was no María Bordallo before the war.

One thing we can learn from this is that no one would have written a lápida in Spanish if there were no one able to read and understand it. This is not the grave of a Spaniard, nor of an elite Chamorro from the highest level of society. And so we can learn from this that, at least at one time, a good number of ordinary Chamorros, perhaps those more exposed to Spanish language and manners, but not necessarily just of the elite class, had a good knowledge of at least some Spanish.

(traducida por Manuel Rodríguez)


El cementerio Pigo (luego “Santa Cruz” o “Holy Cross”) fue el cementerio principal de Agaña antes de la guerra, como lo es también hoy en día. 

Hubo en Guam cementerios privados, un cementerio bautista y un cementerio de la Marina. Pero Pigo era el cementerio principal y era propiedad de la Iglesia Católica.

Se remonta a la década de 1870, por lo que había tumbas en Pigo desde la época española, con lápidas escritas en español. Aquí hay dos de ellas, pero me centraré en la de la derecha.

Aunque tapada en gran parte por la valla de madera, de modo que no podemos identificar de quién es la tumba, vemos lo suficiente como para saber que está escrita en español.

La parte superior de la lápida dice D.O.M.

Es la expresión latina "Deo Optimo Maximo", que significa "A Dios el mejor y el más grande".

A continuación podemos ver en español "Aquí yacen los restos mortales de ...."

El nombre del difunto debe estar a continuación y parece que dice "María" y luego parece que dice "Borja". El BOR es claro, lo que significa que solo puede ser Borja o Bordallo, y no hubo nadie con el nombre de María Bordallo antes de la guerra.

Una cosa que podemos aprender de esto es que nadie habría escrito en español si no hubiera gente capaz de leerlo y entenderlo. Ésta no es la tumba de un español, ni de un chamorro de élite del más alto nivel de la sociedad. Y así podemos entender que, al menos en un momento, un buen número de chamorros, tal vez aquellos más expuestos al idioma y al estilo de vida españoles, pero no necesariamente de la aristocracia, tenían un buen conocimiento de al menos algo de español .

Friday, July 24, 2020


This is a story about a mother and the pains she went through to keep her ailing youngest daughter alive, while the Japanese could have killed them both at any time, or a stray American bullet could hit them as well.

She was no ordinary mother. She was perhaps the most influential female Chamorro on the island, before, during and after the war. Agueda Iglesias Johnston was a school teacher from a very early age and was quickly given more leadership roles and became principal of Guam's only public high school, George Washington, before the war.

If the Japanese were to be suspicious of any Chamorro, one of them would have to be Agueda. She was part of the American system of Guam, teaching Chamorro children English and American patriotism. She was married to an American, and an ex-military man at that. Indeed Agueda was suspected, of helping George Tweed, the lone American fugitive from the Japanese, or at least of knowing his whereabouts. They suspected she was involved in the underground radio, which fed war information to a select few. So, she was periodically dragged into Japanese interrogations and suffered beatings. That is a story in itself.


Around July 10, 1944, after over a month of terrific American bombardment, the Japanese ordered the Chamorros of central and northern Guam to march to various designated isolated camp sites. The idea was to keep the Chamorro population away from the expected battle sites, to keep them from informing Americans they might meet, as much as to keep them out of harm's way. Tå'i was one rendezvous point for the various groups forming the march to the camps. So Agueda and her children packed what they could and started marching towards Tå'i.

By the time they reached Ordot, just two miles from Hagåtña, the youngest child, Eloise, aged 11 years, was too sick to keep moving. Eloise had been ill nearly the entire Japanese Occupation. They thought perhaps the shock of seeing her father shipped off to prison camp in Japan was too much for the young girl, who was just eight years old at the time. So Agueda told the rest of her children, some already in their 20s, to move on ahead and she would stay behind with Eloise in the abandoned house of Mariana León Guerrero in Ordot.

Okinawan and Korean forced laborers who were working on an airstrip but who deserted it under American fire found Agueda and Eloise in the home. They ordered Agueda to cook the foods the men found, but their foraging for food was spotted by American planes and soon those American planes were shooting the house! The house was also close to a radio station used by the Japanese and also to a Japanese camp, so the house was always a target for the American flyers.

Then, one of Agueda's sons, Tom, came to the house urging his mother to follow him to Mañenggon. Agueda refused, saying Eloise's temperature was so high that they couldn't move. They were in the hands of God, she said. If the Lord took Eloise, Agueda had a pick and shovel ready. Tom left without mother and sister.

Another surprise came when a Japanese doctor appeared and rather quickly told Agueda to take the medicine he was handing her and run away with the child.



Not long after the doctor disappeared just as quickly as he appeared, Agueda saw the top of a head passing the window. She called out in Chamorro. It was Frank Pérez, Goyo. He was looking for food for his mother, but seeing Agueda' situation, he promised to help her.

Just then, Segundo León Guerrero appeared, his leg swollen four times its normal size after a dog bit him. A Japanese doctor said he could do nothing more for Segundo. Pérez cut open the wound and let the puss drain. Then he and his brother Gregorio found a scrawny cow and an old buggy. Attaching planks and mattresses to the buggy, they placed Eloise and Segundo on them. Accompanied by José Quitugua they started their journey towards Mañenggon.


Following the Ylig river inland into the Mañenggon valley, the cart could not traverse the rough jungle trail. So they unhitched the buggy and carried Eloise on an improvised stretcher. They agreed to let Segundo wait on the side of the trail and fetch him later.

When word came to the thousands sheltering in Mañenggon that American troops had met some Chamorros, and when they noticed that the Japanese guards had quietly disappeared, thousands of people began marching across the hills and valleys of the central terrain towards Hågat, safely behind American lines. They met up with US Marines who escorted the long line of people to safety. Eloise was being carried on her stretcher by Manuel Mesa, Cristóbal Benavente and Henry Butler.

Eloise's temperature hovered around 103 degrees still, and Agueda doubted she would make it. It didn't help that Eloise couldn't even believe the Americans were there. Agueda walked a good distance ahead to find a Marine. She told the Marine there was a sick girl back in the line who wanted to see an American and that she may not make it. The Marine walked back to Eloise.

Eloise said, "I've been sick since the Japanese came and sent my daddy away. Now he's dead and I don't want to live anymore."

The Marine patted her and said, "You're safe now, little girl. The Americans are here and we'll never leave you again." Eloise bent up and said, "I'm better now. I want to walk." And walk she did, which was a relief, since there was a point where the trail was so narrow, with steep edges on both sides, that a stretcher would have presented a problem.

When they arrived at a camp, she rode her first jeep to a hospital. Her temperature was now normal. Eloise lived for the next 75 years, passing away in 2019 at the age of 86. May she and Agueda rest in peace.

In 1947, Águeda her children invisiting Tucson, AZ 
(L-R Eloise, Margaret, with baby daughter, Águeda and Thomas)

(traducida por Manuel Rodríguez)


Ésta es la historia de una madre y el dolor que sufrió para mantener con vida a su hija más pequeña y enferma, mientras que los japoneses podrían haberlas matado a ambas, o una bala estadounidense perdida también podría haberlas alcanzado.

Ella no era una madre cualquiera. Ella fue quizás la chamorra más influyente en Guam, antes, durante y después de la guerra. Águeda Iglesias Johnston fue maestra de escuela desde muy temprana edad y rápidamente se le asignaron más funciones de liderazgo y se convirtió en directora de la única escuela secundaria pública de Guam anterior a la guerra, la George Washington.

Si los japoneses sospecharan de algún chamorro, uno de ellos tendría que ser Águeda. Ella era parte del sistema estadounidense de Guam, enseñando a los niños chamorros, inglés y patriotismo estadounidense. Estaba casada con un americano, un ex militar. De hecho, se sospecha que Águeda, ayudó a George Tweed, el solitario fugitivo estadounidense de los japoneses, o al menos sabía su paradero. Sospechaban que estaba involucrada en la radio subterránea, que proporcionaba información de guerra a los americanos. Por todo ello, fue conducida periódicamente a interrogatorios japoneses y sufrió palizas. Aunque ésa es en sí misma, otra historia.

Alrededor del 10 de julio de 1944, después de más de un mes de terroríficos bombardeos estadounidenses, los japoneses ordenaron a los chamorros del centro y norte de Guam marchar hacia varios campamentos designados. La idea era mantener a la población chamorra aislada y lejos de los lugares de batalla para mantenerlos fuera de peligro y asimismo evitar que informaran a los estadounidenses con los que podrían encontrarse. Tå'i fue un punto de encuentro para los diversos grupos que formaron la marcha hacia los campos. Entonces Águeda y sus hijos empacaron lo que pudieron y comenzaron a marchar hacia Tå'i.

Cuando llegaron a Ordot, a solo dos millas de Agaña, la niña más pequeña, Eloise, de 11 años, estaba demasiado enferma para seguir la marcha. Eloise había estado mal durante casi toda la ocupación japonesa. Pensaron que tal vez la sorpresa de ver a su padre enviado al campo de prisioneros en Japón era demasiado para la joven, que tenía solo ocho años en ese momento. Entonces Águeda le dijo al resto de sus hijos, algunos que ya tenían 20 años, que siguieran adelante y ella se quedaría con Eloise en la casa abandonada de Mariana León Guerrero en Ordot.

Los trabajadores forzados de Okinawa y Corea que trabajaban en una pista de aterrizaje pero que la abandonaron bajo el fuego estadounidense encontraron a Águeda y Eloise en la casa. Le ordenaron a Águeda que cocinara los alimentos que encontraron aquellos hombres, pero su búsqueda de comida fue detectada por aviones estadounidenses y ¡pronto esos aviones estaban disparando a la casa! La casa también estaba cerca de una estación de radio utilizada por los japoneses y también de un campamento japonés, por lo que la casa siempre fue un blanco para los aviadores estadounidenses.

Entonces, uno de los hijos de Águeda, Tom, llegó a la casa pidiendo a su madre que lo siguiera a Mañenggon. Águeda se negó, diciendo que la fiebre de Eloise era tan alta que no podían moverse. Estaban en manos de Dios, dijo ella. Si el Señor se llevaba a Eloise, Águeda tenía un pico y una pala listos para enterrarla. Tom se fue sin su madre y su hermana.

Otra sorpresa llegó cuando apareció un médico japonés y rápidamente le dijo a Águeda que tomara el medicamento que le estaba entregando y que se fuera con la niña.

Poco después de que el médico desapareciera tan rápido como había aparecido, Águeda vio la punta de una cabeza pasar por la ventana. Era Frank Pérez, alias Goyo. Estaba buscando comida para su madre, pero al ver la situación de Águeda, prometió ayudarlas.

En ese momento, apareció también Segundo León Guerrero, con la pierna hinchada cuatro veces su tamaño normal después de que un perro lo mordiera. Un médico japonés dijo que no podía hacer nada más por Segundo. Frank Pérez abrió la herida y dejó que el pus saliera. Luego, él y su hermano Gregorio encontraron un viejo carro tirado por una flaca vaca. Sujetando tablones y colchones al carro, acostaron a Eloise y a Segundo sobre ellos. Acompañados por José Quitugua, comenzaron su viaje hacia Mañenggon.

Siguiendo el río Ylig hacia el interior hasta el valle de Mañenggon, el carro no pudo atravesar el camino áspero de la selva. Entonces desengancharon el carro y llevaron a Eloise en una camilla improvisada. Acordaron dejar que Segundo esperara al lado del camino y lo vendrían a buscar más tarde.

Cuando se corrió la voz entre las miles de personas que se refugiaban en Mañenggon de que las tropas estadounidenses se habían encontrado con algunos chamorros, y cuando notaron que los guardias japoneses habían desaparecido silenciosamente, miles comenzaron a marchar a través de las colinas y los valles del terreno central hacia Agat, con seguridad, detrás de las filas estadounidenses. Se reunieron con marines americanos que escoltaron a la larga fila de personas a un lugar seguro. Eloise estaba siendo llevada en su camilla por Manuel Mesa, Cristóbal Benavente y Henry Butler.

La fiebre de Eloise rondaba los 40 grados todavía, y Águeda dudaba que pudiera seguir adelante. No ayudó que Eloise ni siquiera pudiera creer que los estadounidenses estaban allí. Águeda caminó una buena distancia para encontrar a un marine. Ella le dijo al marine que había una niña enferma en la fila que quería ver a un estadounidense y que tal vez no lo lograría. El marine regresó a Eloise.

Eloise dijo: "He estado enferma desde que vinieron los japoneses y se llevaron a mi papá. Ahora está muerto y no quiero vivir más".

El marine le dio unas palmaditas y dijo: "Ahora estás a salvo, pequeña. Los estadounidenses están aquí y nunca más te dejaremos." Eloise se inclinó y dijo: "Estoy mejor ahora. Quiero caminar." Y caminó, lo cual fue un alivio, ya que había un punto donde el sendero era tan estrecho, con bordes empinados a ambos lados, que una camilla causaría problemas.

Cuando llegaron a un campamento, ella montó en su primer jeep a un hospital. Su temperatura ahora era normal. Eloise vivió durante los siguientes 75 años y falleció en 2019 a la edad de 86 años. Que ella y Águeda descansen en paz.

Monday, July 20, 2020


Plaza de España July 21, 1945

The very first Liberation Day on Guam had no parade. No marching bands nor village floats went down Marine Drive, although the road was already there.

There was no carnival, no ferris wheel and no beto beto booths.

July 21, 1945 was a Saturday, so there was no work that day for most anyway. But it wasn't a public holiday for GovGuam yet. There was no GovGuam yet! The island was still under a military government.

On that first Liberation Day, World War II was still being fought. The US was bombing Japan by air and had surrounded it by sea. When the Chamorros were celebrating Liberation Day on July 21, 1945, the war wasn't over but Guam was playing a part in ending it, with its massive air fields built by the US for American planes to bomb Japan. Just 120 miles north of Guam, Tinian's airfields were used by the US to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the war was over by August 15.

So when Agueda Johnston, island educator, suggested to the military brass that the first anniversary of the American return to Guam be celebrated, the American big shots didn't jump for joy at the idea. Maybe they thought there was a war still to be won, and had other priorities. Maybe they doubted that the island had what it took to put on a celebration, since the island was still picking up the pieces of the damage left by war. Hagåtña was a city in ruins, half-destroyed homes sitting empty covered with weeds. Military quonset huts covered the bulldozed terrain of the capital.

But Agueda got her permission and the anniversary was planned. But how different that first Liberation Day was from the ones that came later.


As can be seen in the photo above, the people gathered in the Plaza de España for an early morning Mass celebrated by Spanish Bishop Olano. There was a temporary church in Hagåtña by then, built by Monsignor Calvo, to replace the ruined prewar Cathedral, but it was smaller than the original church and an outdoor Mass could accommodate more people.


After the Mass, there was no parade. Instead, there was a religious procession of the people, lead by a crucifix and altar boys.

Newspapers said the procession went through the streets of devastated Hagåtña. A few streets were probably meant, and it must have been a somber mood to walk past the useless, mangled walls of what used to be homes filled with the sounds of family life.

Processing on Marine Drive would have been out of the question. It was a Saturday, but there was still a war going on, with hundreds of military trucks going up and down Marine Drive from the naval base at Apra up to one of the airfields in the north.


The Hagåtña Mass and procession could be considered island-wide events. At least everyone was invited to participate, though transportation wasn't all that easy in 1945 and nearly everyone lived outside of Hagåtña. From the photo above, you can see that the crowd was decent but far from the actual number of people who would have attended had they still lived in Hagåtña, as they had before the war, and had transportation been more easily available.

So the rest of Liberation Day was a localized affair, each village and each family or association of whatever sort putting on their own celebration.

Agueda Johnston hosted a party at a school in Aniguak, where the youth were so enthusiastic in dancing the jitterbug that she was afraid they'd go through the flimsy walls made of light wood and local weaving. So there was dancing, music and cake, cut by her and a Marine officer. The people gathered in the school sang "God Bless America."


In the villages that had a priest in their churches or chapels, Mass was said that morning, the same way Bishop Olano said Mass in the Plaza.

Admiral Chester Nimitz addressed the radio listeners on island that morning with his greetings.

It was up to each village to feast as they wanted or could. Inalåhan went all out. Here's how one newspaper described it :

Here and there around the island, people held dances, put out food, waved the American flag, listened to civic leaders make speeches, poured out many glasses of tuba (coconut toddy).

at the Liberation Day party hosted by Agueda Johnston

There was also a remembrance of the American soldiers who died in the 1944 invasion. Many Chamorros died in that violence, but Chamorros laid wreaths on the first Liberation Day at the graves of American troops who fell in battle as well.

at the grave of US Marine RG Phelan on July 21, 1945

When our parents and grandparents celebrated July 21, 1945, they could still hear the bombs and bullets; they could still see the menacing faces of Japanese soldiers looking at them; they could still hear the screaming voices of irate Japanese rulers; they could still feel the pain in their hearts looking at relatives and friends wounded, and even dead, with no medical care in sight. And they could also see that all of that was over.

So, yes, the first Liberation Day was religious and patriotic. The people were proud to see the American flag wave again, and they were happy the Japanese were gone.


But this patriotism did not erase the Chamorro's sense of justice and love for their island and people. Concerns, and even resentment, brewed among some Chamorros over military land grabs and the prices paid. Just a year after the first Liberation Day, Chamorros were in the same Plaza where they had Mass to thank God for war's end, to protest the presence of US Navy man George Tweed, who wrote some objectionable things about some Chamorros in his postwar book about his flight from the Japanese.

Four years after the first Liberation Day, some members of the Guam Congress, all Chamorros, staged a well-publicized walkout to protest the Naval Governor at the time who was impeding their actions. Later that year, President Truman took Guam out of Naval control and put a civilian Governor in place and then the Organic Act followed the next year.

One year after the first Liberation Day celebration, Agueda Johnston, the woman who began that observance, aired her grievances about the continued military rule over Guam. She told reporters that Chamorros wanted their capital city rebuilt, a representative government instituted, the removal of military restrictions, constitutional protection and an acknowledgment from the US that the Chamorros of Guam fought the Japanese in their own way, and paid a price for it. All this coming from a Chamorro woman whose American patriotism was lauded by the US and resented by the Japanese.

In other words, Chamorro leaders at the time wanted to be as American as the Americans themselves defined America, with liberty and justice for all.

(traducida por Manuel Rodríguez)


El primer “Día de Liberación” que se celebró en Guam no tuvo desfile. No hubo bandas de música ni carrozas de los pueblos circulando por Marine Drive, aunque la calle ya estaba construida.

No hubo atracciones, ni ruleta de la fortuna ni cabinas beto beto (un juego de azar).

El 21 de julio de 1945 era un sábado, así que ese día la mayoría de la gente no trabajaba. Pero aún no era un día festivo para el Gobierno de Guam. De hecho, el Gobierno de Guam todavía no existía. La isla aún estaba bajo el gobierno militar americano.

En ese primer “Día de Liberación,” la Segunda Guerra Mundial todavía se estaba librando. Estados Unidos estaba bombardeando Japón por aire y lo había rodeado por mar. Cuando los chamorros se disponían a celebrar el “Día de Liberación” el 21 de julio de 1945, la guerra no había terminado, pero Guam estaba desempeñando un papel importante para ese fin, con sus enormes bases aéreas construidas por los EE. UU. para que sus aviones bombardeasen Japón. A solo 120 millas (193 km) al norte de Guam, los campos de aviación de Tinián fueron utilizados por los Estados Unidos para lanzar las bombas atómicas sobre Hiroshima y Nagasaki y la guerra terminaría el 15 de agosto.

Entonces fue cuando Águeda Johnston, una maestra de la isla, sugirió a los jefes militares que se celebrara el primer aniversario del regreso estadounidense a Guam, los peces gordos americanos no saltaron de alegría ante la idea. Tal vez pensaron que aún había una guerra por ganar, y tenían otras prioridades. Tal vez dudaron de que la isla tuviera lo necesario para organizar una celebración, pues aún se estaban recogiendo los escombros que había dejado la guerra. Agaña era una ciudad en ruinas, casas medio destruidas, vacías y cubiertas de maleza. Las cabañas militares prefabricadas cubrían el terreno arrasado de la capital.

Pero Águeda consiguió su permiso y el aniversario se iba a organizar. ¡Pero qué diferente fue ese primer “Día de Liberación” de los que vinieron después!

Como se puede ver en la foto, los chamorros se reunieron en la Plaza de España para una misa matutina celebrada por el obispo español Miguel Ángel Olano. Había para entonces una iglesia provisional en Agaña, levantada por Monseñor Calvo, para reemplazar a la catedral destruida, pero era más pequeña que la iglesia original y una misa al aire libre podía acomodar a más personas.

Después de la misa, no hubo desfile. En cambio, hubo una procesión religiosa por la ciudad, dirigida por una cruz y varios monaguillos.

Los periódicos señalaron que la procesión había discurrido por las calles de la devastada Agaña. Probablemente algunas calles estaban preparadas pero debió haber sido desolador caminar al lado de las paredes destrozadas de lo que habían sido hogares llenos de sonidos de la vida familiar.

Era sábado y la procesión en Marine Drive hubiera estado fuera de toda duda. Pero todavía había una guerra, con cientos de camiones militares subiendo y bajando por Marine Drive desde la base naval en Apra hasta uno de los aeródromos del norte.


La misa y la procesión de Agaña podrían considerarse eventos para toda la isla. Al menos todos fueron invitados a participar, aunque el transporte no era fácil en 1945 y casi todos vivían fuera de Agaña. En la foto, se puede ver que la multitud era considerable pero lejos de la cantidad real de personas que hubieran asistido si aún hubieran vivido en Agaña, como lo habían hecho antes de la guerra, y también si el transporte hubiera sido más disponible.

Así que el resto del Día de Liberación fue un asunto localizado, cada pueblo y cada familia o asociación de cualquier tipo organizó su propia celebración.

Águeda Johnston organizó una fiesta en una escuela en Aniguak, donde los jóvenes estaban tan entusiasmados bailando el jitterbug que se temía que atravesaran las endebles paredes hechas de madera clara y tejidos locales. Así que hubo baile, música y tarta, cortada por ella misma y un oficial de la Marina. La gente reunida en la escuela cantó "God Bless America" (“Dios bendiga a América”).

En las aldeas que tenían un sacerdote en sus iglesias o capillas, la misa se celebró aquella mañana, de la misma manera que el Obispo Olano lo hizo en la Plaza de España.

El almirante Chester Nimitz se dirigió a los oyentes de radio en la isla esa mañana con sus saludos.

Dependía de cada pueblo festejar en la manera en que quisieran o pudieran. Inaraján hizo todo lo posible. Así es como lo describió un periódico: “En Inaraján, en la costa sureste, la gente decoró las fachadas de sus casas con hibiscos y hojas de palma. Se reunieron en siete grupos, los mismos siete grupos creados por los japoneses, porque ésa era la forma más fácil de controlar sus movimientos”.

Aquí y allá, alrededor de la isla, la gente organizaba bailes, preparaba comida, ondeaba la bandera estadounidense, escuchaba a los líderes cívicos pronunciar discursos, derramaba muchos vasos de tuba (bebida de coco), etc.

También hubo un recuerdo para los soldados estadounidenses que murieron en la invasión japonesa de 1944. Muchos chamorros murieron en ese momento, pero los chamorros depositaron igualmente coronas de flores en el primer Día de Liberación en las tumbas de las tropas americanas que cayeron en la batalla.

Cuando nuestros padres y abuelos celebraron el 21 de julio de 1945, todavía podían escuchar las bombas y las balas; aún podían ver los rostros amenazantes de los soldados japoneses mirándolos; todavía podían escuchar las voces de los gobernantes japoneses furiosos; todavía podían sentir el dolor en sus corazones al mirar a familiares y amigos heridos, e incluso muertos, sin una atención médica disponible. Y también podían ver que todo eso se estaba terminando.

Entonces, sí, el primer Día de Liberación fue religioso y patriótico. La gente estaba orgullosa de ver la bandera estadounidense ondear nuevamente, y estaban felices de que los japoneses se hubieran ido.


Pero este patriotismo no borró el sentido de justicia y amor de los chamorros por su isla y su propia gente. Las preocupaciones, e incluso el resentimiento, surgieron entre algunos chamorros por el acaparamiento de tierras militares y los precios pagados por los americanos. Justo un año después del primer Día de Liberación, los chamorros se reunieron en la misma Plaza de España, donde se había celebrado aquella misa para agradecer a Dios por el fin de la guerra, para protestar por la presencia del soldado americano, George Tweed, quien escribió algunas cosas objetables sobre algunos chamorros en su libro de la posguerra durante su huída de los japoneses.

Cuatro años después del primer Día de Liberación, algunos miembros del Congreso de Guam, todos chamorros, organizaron una huelga muy publicitada para protestar contra el Gobernador Naval que en esos momentos impedía sus acciones. Más tarde ese año, el presidente Truman sacó a Guam del control militar y estableció un gobernador civil. Posteriormente se aprobó la Ley Orgánica al año siguiente.

Un año después de la primera celebración del Día de Liberación, Águeda Johnston, la mujer que comenzó esa observación, expresó sus quejas sobre el continuo control militar del gobierno americano sobre Guam. Ella declaró a los periodistas que los chamorros querían que la ciudad de Agaña fuera reconstruida, un gobierno representativo instituido, la eliminación de las restricciones militares, la protección constitucional y un reconocimiento de los Estados Unidos de que los chamorros de Guam lucharon también contra los japoneses, y pagaron un precio por ello. Todo esto proviene de una mujer chamorra cuyo patriotismo estadounidense fue elogiado por los Estados Unidos y resentido por los japoneses.

En otras palabras, los líderes chamorros en ese momento querían ser estadounidenses con libertad y justicia para todos, como los mismos estadounidenses definieron a Estados Unidos.

Friday, July 17, 2020



The nut of the fadang (fedrico) palm has been used for centuries by Chamorros as a source of food, especially as flour. When the nut is dried and ground into a flour, it can be used in cooking and made into titiyas (flat bread like tortilla).

The one thing you have to know, though, is that fadang is poisonous. It contains cyanide!

So the nut is cut and is soaked in water that is constantly changed, for several days at a minimum, so that the toxin leaches into the water until it is all gone and the nut is safe to eat. Just to show you how poisonous it is, if the first batches of water in which the nuts are soaked are thrown out and somehow gather into a puddle, chickens will die if they drink that water.

During the war, some Japanese soldiers in Sumay were curious about the tree and some Sumay people told the soldiers that Chamorros used the nut as food, but they didn't tell the soldiers about the poison.

The soldiers picked the nuts and cooked them somehow, without soaking them for the several days required.

When the Sumay people saw how sick those Japanese soldiers became, there was an air of contentment in Sumay that day.

(traducida por Manuel Rodríguez)


La nuez de palma “fadang” (federico) ha sido utilizada durante siglos por los chamorros como fuente de alimento, especialmente para hacer harina. Cuando la nuez se seca y se muele, se puede usar para cocinar y preparar “titiyas” (pan plano como la tortilla).

Sin embargo, lo único que se debe saber es que el “fadang” es venenoso. ¡Contiene cianuro!

Por lo tanto, la nuez se corta y se empapa en agua que se cambia constantemente, como mínimo durante varios días. Así la toxina se filtra en el agua hasta que se acaba y la nuez es segura para comer. Solo para demostrar su veneno, si se arrojasen los primeros lotes de agua en los que se mojan las nueces y de alguna manera se juntan en un charco, las gallinas morirían si bebiesen esa agua.

Durante la guerra, algunos soldados japoneses en Sumay sintieron curiosidad por el árbol y algunas personas del pueblo les dijeron a los soldados que los chamorros usaban la nuez como alimento, pero no les advirtieron sobre el veneno.

Los soldados recogieron las nueces y las cocinaron, sin remojarlas durante los varios días requeridos.

Cuando la gente de Sumay vio cuán enfermos se pusieron los soldados japoneses, hubo un aire de satisfacción en Sumay aquel día.

Monday, July 13, 2020



When the Japanese occupied Guam in World War II, they grabbed what they wanted and turned it into what they wanted. This they did with the prewar Elks Club in Hagåtña. Instead of a clubhouse for statesiders as was its original purpose, a local Japanese resident of Guam made it his own business - a clubhouse for Japanese military officers. Officers paid for their liquor, their main activity, but also for any meals they might order. It became known as the Ōmiya Kaikan; or the "Guam Hall."

Many Guam residents at least know of the Elks Club and its clubhouse located in Agaña Heights. Many a wedding reception, private party and bingo game has been held there. The original, before the war, was in downtown Hagåtña in a fine-looking, two storey, concrete building.

The Elks were founded in the US as a social club for white men, whose lodges were a place where they could socialize. They also have done a lot of charity work for all segments of the community. Among the several membership requirements, being white and a US citizen immediately disqualified nearly every Chamorro male on Guam from joining. The establishment of the Young Men's League of Guam was in reaction to such restrictions in American clubs. The Elks eliminated the racial qualification in 1973.

Members of the Elks Club who were living on Guam thanks to their military assignment began the process of petitioning for the establishment of a Guam lodge. This finally came about in 1914. Some of the original members were statesiders married to Chamorro wives : William Johnston, Hiram Elliott, Chester Butler and Walter Rowley.

A clubhouse was essential to the Elks and they found one in a two story, concrete building built by Jose K. Shimizu, a Japanese businessman on Guam.  The lodge bought the building from Shimizu and in time the building had three dining rooms, a hall, a bar, a club room and a reading room. The club occupied the second floor while the ground floor housed a store. By the 1930s, there were between 70 and 80 Guam members, all statesiders.

But the Elks club house was a haven not only for formal members of the Elks lodge. The Elks opened their doors to American enlisted military men. These enlisted men could not enjoy the Officer's Club up in Agaña Heights. But the Elks club provided affordable alcohol, dance music and the company of Chamorro women.


When the Japanese took over Guam on December 10, 1941 everything was at their disposal. Automobiles, generators, boats, machinery, homes and buildings were all fair game. The Japanese felt especially free to grab whatever was owned by Americans on Guam, since the US was the enemy. The Americans were all rounded up and sent to prison camp in Japan anyway, so why not use the cars and buildings they left behind.

So a local Japanese resident and businessman, who became tied to the highest level of the Japanese government on Guam, took possession of the now-empty Elks Club and made it his own business, which he called the Ōmiya Kaikan. Ōmiya was the Japanese name for Guam, and kaikan meant "meeting hall." The club was to function mainly as a bar for Japanese officers. Meals could be served, too, as there was a kitchen, but the focus was on drinking and socializing. Whiskey, beer and soda were available.

The common Japanese soldier was not allowed in, unless he was the driver for some officer. Japanese civilians also could not just walk in and be served. One employee of the Kohatsu, a Japanese corporation that controlled commerce during the Occupation, strolled down the street intoxicated, heading for the clubhouse hoping to get in. The Japanese Governor, who was at the clubhouse at the time, took a sign off its hinges and put it on the front steps of the club, sending the man away. It was believed the sign said "Officers Only" or something to that effect.

William Johnston on left behind the bar

Oddly enough, Chamorros were allowed in, but only as guests of the Japanese officers, and there was no lack of Chamorro guests. The Chamorro guests usually fell into one of two categories. Either they were of the higher class, such as businessmen or property owners, who could provide resources to the Japanese or make things happen in society. Or they were Chamorro socialite women; the pretty faces whose company the Japanese officers enjoyed.

The ordinary Chamorro folk used to gather outside the Ōmiya Kaikan when it first opened, peering in to see what was going on inside. They would be shushed away, being told the club was not for the general public. After another week of that the curious, uninvited didn't come around anymore.

A Chamorro staff was hired to run the place, cook and serve as waitresses. Vicente M. Taimanglo worked for a time at the club as bartender. After the war he testified that he didn't always receive his pay! Besides Vicente, there were Chamorro waitresses and a young boy who did odd jobs. The waitresses also said they weren't always paid as promised.


Many parties were held there, such as the departure dinner for the first Japanese Governor of Guam, Commander Hiroshi Hayashi, who left the island in June of 1942. He was the only Japanese who didn't have to pay for anything when he patronized the club.


The next story is controversial. Some witnesses say one man did it, other witnesses say another man did it.

But they all say it happened! And what did happen? The second floor of the Elks clubhouse was where the hall was located. Although the clubhouse served meals, it wasn't really designed as a restaurant so the meals were served in that upstairs hall on the less frequent occasion when meals were ordered.

An evening party was to be held one night and as the hall was being prepared for that, some spillage was noticed on the floor. It could have been from a meal served earlier. Mops were looked for but instead an American flag, folded and stored away, was taken, spread over the spillage and used to mop the floor. The person doing so moved the flag with his foot.

The local Japanese who ran the club was accused after the war of being the guilty man. Several witnesses, including some Chamorro employees, claimed they saw him do it. But other witnesses, also including Chamorro employees, said it was a Japanese non-resident who did it.

Either way, the Elks Club members would have been outraged this had been done in their clubhouse. The Elks Club prides itself in having great devotion to the American flag. The Elks observe the national Flag Day observance and one cannot join the Elks if they are not willing to salute the flag.



The Elks Club building was destroyed by American bombs in June of 1944 as the Americans prepared for its invasion the following month. An Elks Club member who participated in the invasion took this picture of the remains of the Elks Club. The smoke stack of the power plant in Hagåtña can be seen in the background.

(traducida por Manuel Rodríguez)


Cuando los japoneses ocuparon Guam durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, tomaban lo que querían y lo convertían en lo que deseaban. Esto lo hicieron en Agaña con el Club Elks anterior a la guerra. En lugar de una casa club para los estadounidenses como era su propósito original, un residente local japonés de Guam lo convirtió en su propio negocio: una casa club para oficiales militares japoneses. Los oficiales pagaban por sus licores, su actividad principal, pero también por cualquier comida que pudieran pedir. Se hizo conocido como el Ōmiya Kaikan; o el "Salón de Guam".

Muchos residentes de Guam al menos conocen el Club Elks y su casa club ubicada en Altos de Agaña. Allí se han celebrado muchas bodas, fiestas privadas y juegos de bingo. El original, anterior a la guerra, estaba en el centro de Agaña, en un elegante edificio de hormigón de dos pisos.

El Elks se fundó en los Estados Unidos como un club social para hombres blancos, cuyas reuniones servían para socializar. También han realizado muchas obras de caridad para todos los segmentos de la comunidad. Entre los varios requisitos de membresía, ser blanco y ciudadano estadounidense descalificaba de inmediato para su incorporación a casi todos los hombres chamorros de Guam. El establecimiento de la Liga de Hombres Jóvenes de Guam fue una reacción a tales restricciones en los clubes estadounidenses. El Elks eliminó la clasificación racial en 1973.

Los miembros del Club Elks que vivían en Guam gracias a su asignación militar comenzaron en su día el proceso de solicitar el establecimiento de una asociación en la isla. Esto finalmente ocurrió en 1914. Algunos de los miembros originales eran estadounidenses casados con sus esposas chamorras: William Johnston, Hiram Elliott, Chester Butler y Walter Rowley.

Una casa club era esencial para el Elks y encontraron una en un edificio de dos pisos construido por Jose K. Shimizu, un hombre de negocios japonés en Guam. La asociación compró el edificio a Shimizu y con el tiempo el edificio tenía tres comedores, un salón, un bar, una sala de club y una sala de lectura. Para la década de 1930, había entre 70 y 80 miembros de Guam, todos de los Estados Unidos.

Cuando los japoneses tomaron Guam el 10 de diciembre de 1941, todo estaba a su disposición: automóviles, generadores, botes, maquinaria, casas y edificios. Los japoneses se sintieron especialmente libres de tomar lo que fuera propiedad de los estadounidenses en Guam, ya que Estados Unidos era el enemigo. Todos los estadounidenses fueron detenidos y enviados al campo de prisioneros en Japón, así las cosas, ¿por qué no usar los autos y edificios que dejaron?

Entonces, un residente y empresario local japonés, que quedó vinculado al más alto nivel del gobierno japonés en Guam, tomó posesión del ahora vacío Club Elks y lo convirtió en su propio negocio, al que llamó Ōmiya Kaikan. Ōmiya era el nombre japonés para Guam, y kaikan significaba "sala de reuniones". El club debía funcionar principalmente como un bar para oficiales japoneses. Las comidas también se podían servir, ya que había una cocina, pero lo importante era beber y socializar. Whisky, cerveza y refrescos estaban disponibles.

Al soldado japonés común no se le permitía entrar, a menos que fuera el conductor de algún oficial. Los civiles japoneses tampoco podían entrar ni ser atendidos. Un empleado de Kohatsu, una corporación japonesa que controlaba el comercio durante la ocupación, se paseó por la calle borracho, en dirección a la sede del club con la esperanza de entrar. El gobernador japonés, que estaba en la sede del club en ese momento, oyó las bisagras y lo puso en los escalones delanteros del club, enviando al hombre lejos. Se creía que el letrero decía "Oficiales solamente" o algo por el estilo.

Por extraño que parezca, se permitía la entrada de chamorros, pero solo como invitados de los oficiales japoneses. Los invitados chamorros generalmente entraban en una de dos categorías: o eran de la clase alta, como empresarios o propietarios, que podían proporcionar recursos a los japoneses. O eran mujeres “socialité” chamorras; las caras bonitas de cuya compañía disfrutaban los oficiales japoneses.

La gente común chamorra solía reunirse fuera del Ōmiya Kaikan cuando se abrió por primera vez, mirando qué ocurría dentro. Esa gente eran rechazada, y se les decía que el club no era para el público en general. Después de otra semana, los curiosos y no invitados ya no aparecían.

Un chamorro fue contratado para dirigir el lugar, cocinar y servir como camarero. Vicente M. Taimanglo trabajó durante un tiempo en el club como barman. ¡Después de la guerra contó que no siempre había recibido su paga! Además de Vicente, había camareras chamorras y un niño que hacía trabajos extraños. Las camareras también dijeron que no siempre se les pagaba según lo prometido.

Allí se celebraron muchas fiestas, como la cena de partida del primer gobernador japonés de Guam, el comandante Hiroshi Hayashi, que abandonó la isla en junio de 1942. Era el único japonés que no tenía que pagar nada, cuando patrocinaba el club.

La siguiente historia es controvertida. Algunos testigos dicen que un hombre lo hizo, otros testigos dicen que fue otra persona.

¡Pero todos preguntan qué sucedió! ¿Y qué pasó? El segundo piso de la casa club de Elks era donde se encontraba el pasillo. Aunque la casa club servía comidas, en realidad no estaba diseñada como restaurante, por lo que las comidas pedidas se servían en el pasillo de arriba.

Una noche se celebraría una fiesta y mientras se preparaba el salón para eso, se notó un derrame en el suelo. Podría haber sido de una comida servida antes. Se buscaron trapeadores, pero en su lugar se tomó una bandera estadounidense, doblada y guardada, se extendió sobre el derrame y se usó para limpiar el piso. La persona que lo hizo movió la bandera con el pie. 

El japonés local que dirigía el club fue acusado después de la guerra de ser el culpable. Varios testigos, incluidos algunos empleados chamorros, afirmaron que lo vieron haciéndolo. Pero otros testigos, incluidos también los empleados chamorros, dijeron que fuera un residente no japonés quien lo hiciera.

De cualquier manera, los miembros del Club Elks se habrían indignado de que esto se había producido en su casa club. El Club Elks se enorgullece de tener una gran devoción a la bandera estadounidense. El club observa la celebración nacional del Día de la Bandera y uno no puede unirse al Elks si no se está dispuesto a saludar a la bandera.

El edificio del Club Elks fue destruido por las bombas estadounidenses en junio de 1944 mientras los estadounidenses se preparaban para su invasión al mes siguiente. Un miembro del Club Elks que participó en la invasión tomó esta foto de los restos del club. La columna de humo de la central eléctrica en Agaña se puede ver al fondo.


Friday, July 10, 2020


In 1943, Francisco received an unexpected visitor at his ranch in the Hågat district.

It was the interpreter from Saipan in charge of the Hågat district. The interpreter told Francisco he had to go with him to the taicho's house. The taicho was the local military commander, and his name was Takabana.

When they got to Takabana's house, he was told to do some sweeping while Takabana and the Saipanese interpreter conversed in Japanese. Then Takabana left and it was just Francisco and the interpreter.

"You took the gun at Fena, didn't you?" asked the interpreter. Another man from Hågat had informed the Japanese, even though it wasn't true.

Francisco denied it, because he truly hadn't taken any gun from anywhere.

The interpreter told Francisco to stand with his arms in the air, and took a piece of wood and started whacking Francisco's buttocks with the wood, sometimes as far down as the backside of his knees. He hit Francisco so many times, each time asking if Francisco took the gun.

Every time Francisco said "no," the interpreter whacked him again saying, "I'll keep doing this till you admit you took the gun."

In the Japanese system, the accused are guilty till proven innocent. What the Japanese try to do is extract a confession from the accused, even if the confession is made under duress. Thus, further evidence is not so needed and the case can be concluded more quickly.

Francisco still felt the interpreter would relent, but he didn't. Every time Francisco said he didn't take the gun, the interpreter struck him with the board. Unable to take any more of the pain, Francisco finally gave in and said he did take the gun, only so that the beating would stop.

The interpreter put away the board, itself being damaged from all the striking. "Let's go get the gun," he said. On the way to the location where the gun supposedly was, Francisco thought to himself, "He will be even more angry when we get there and I have no gun to turn in." So when he saw the opportunity, Francisco escaped. For two or three days, he wandered in the jungle. His wife got word to him urging him to turn himself in. He did.

He walked to the taicho's office, and the interpreter was there. He said he only told the interpreter that he took the gun so that the beating would stop, but that he had not, in fact, taken it. The taicho and interpreter told him it was okay and to go home.

Another man from Hågat named Román was interrogated on suspicion of stealing karabao. He claimed innocence, but the Japanese considered him guilty because karabao bones were found on his ranch property. He was beaten for several days in a row and was promised the beatings would stop if he confessed. Román said he couldn't confess because he hadn't stolen any karabao.

Takabana, the taicho, said, "Just admit you did it, even if you didn't do it."

Román said, "I admit I stole the karabao, even though I didn't do it."

The beating stopped but Román was then taken to the jail in Hagåtña and locked up for three months then released.

(traducida por Manuel Rodríguez)


En 1943, Francisco recibió una visita inesperada en su rancho en el distrito de Agat.

Era el intérprete de Saipán a cargo del distrito de Agat. El intérprete le dijo a Francisco que tenía que ir con él a la casa del taicho. El taicho era el comandante militar local, y su nombre era Takabana.

Cuando llegaron a la casa de Takabana, le dijeron que barriera mientras Takabana y el intérprete de Saipán conversaban en japonés. Entonces Takabana se fue y solo se quedaron Francisco y el intérprete.

"Le disparaste a Fena, ¿no?" preguntó el intérprete. Otro hombre de Agat había informado de eso a los japoneses, aunque no era cierto.

Francisco lo negó, porque realmente no había tomado ninguna pistola de lado alguno.

El intérprete le dijo a Francisco que se parara con las manos arriba, tomó un trozo de madera y comenzó a golpear las nalgas de Francisco con la madera, a veces hasta la parte trasera de las rodillas. Golpeó a Francisco muchas veces, cada vez preguntaba si Francisco tomara el arma.

Cada vez que Francisco respondía "no," el intérprete lo golpeaba nuevamente diciendo: "Seguiré haciendo esto hasta que admitas que tomaste el arma."

En el sistema japonés, los acusados son culpables hasta que se demuestre su inocencia. Lo que los japoneses intentan hacer es extraer una confesión del acusado, incluso si la confesión se hace bajo coacción. Por lo tanto, no se necesitan más pruebas y el caso puede concluirse más rápidamente.

Francisco todavía sentía que el intérprete cedería, pero no lo hizo. Cada vez que Francisco decía que no tomara el arma, el intérprete lo golpeaba con el tablero. Incapaz de soportar más el dolor, Francisco finalmente cedió y dijo que tomara el arma, solo para que la paliza se detuviera.

El intérprete guardó el tablero, ya que resultó dañado por los golpes. "Vamos a buscar el arma," dijo. En el camino hacia el lugar donde supuestamente estaba el arma, Francisco pensó para sí mismo: "Se enojará aún más cuando lleguemos allí y no tenga el arma para entregarle." Entonces, cuando vio la oportunidad, Francisco escapó. Durante dos o tres días, vagó por la jungla. Su esposa recibió noticias sobre él instándolo a entregarse. Lo hizo.

Se dirigió a la oficina del taicho y el intérprete estaba allí. Dijo que solo le había respondido al intérprete que tomara el arma para que la paliza se detuviera, pero que, de hecho, no la había tomado. El taicho y el intérprete le dijeron que aceptaban su explicación y que se fuera a casa.

Otro hombre de Agat llamado Román fue interrogado bajo sospecha de robar un carabao. Afirmó su inocencia, pero los japoneses lo consideraron culpable porque se encontraron huesos de carabao en la propiedad de su rancho. Fue golpeado durante varios días seguidos y se le prometió que las palizas se detendrían si confesaba. Román dijo que no podía confesar porque no había robado ningún carabao.

Takabana, el taicho, dijo: "Simplemente admite que lo hiciste, incluso si no lo hiciste."

Román dijo: "Admito que robé el carabao, aunque no lo hice."

La golpiza se detuvo, pero Román fue llevado a la cárcel en Agaña y encerrado durante tres meses y luego liberado.