Saturday, April 14, 2012

MOCHONG LATTE SITE IN LUTA


MOCHONG IN LUTA
Not the biggest latte stones, but the largest number


 
At the very north of Luta is Mochong, which stands out as having the largest number of latte stones in the Marianas - about 50 of them.

Another Unique Feature here .... STONE WALLS....built by our ancestors


Perhaps the only place where walls built by our pre-Spanish ancestors can be found.


The latte stones here aren't very large, and, thanks to our frequent earthquakes, most if not all the capstones (tåsa) have fallen off the pillars (haligi), as is seen above.

ADAHE!  BE CAREFUL!

I went to Mochong with a Rotanese friend.  As we drove into the dirt trail, he told me that a Chamorro dance group from Guam came up to Mochong and did their dances all around the latte stone site.  By the next day, most of the dance group, he says, were sick.

As I got down from the car to survey the area and take photos, I noticed that my Rotanese friend stayed by the car, not approaching the latte stone site.  I said a prayer to my Guardian Angel to protect me from any spirits wishing to do me harm, and nothing unpleasant happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment