|Guam Courthouse, Agaña|
Built during Spanish Administration
When the Americans took over Guam in 1898 and truly set up shop the following year, they kept much of the Spanish government system and laws in place. Slowly, things changed to a more American style administration.
In 1908, the highest court on Guam was the Court of Appeals. It was headed by Pedro M. Duarte. He was a Spaniard and former official under that administration. But he had married a Chamorro mestiza, Maria Victoria Anderson Millinchamp, so he remained on Guam under the U.S. flag and served in several government capacities.
Assisting him in the Court of Appeals were Chamorro manakkilo' (elite) who had also served in the Spanish colonial government. The Associate Justices of the Court of Appeals were Gregorio Perez and Jose Torres. Two more were "Supplementary Associate Justices," Joaquin Perez and Jose Taitano.
The clerk of courts was Manuel Sablan.
The Island Court was headed by a Filipino, Pancracio Palting, exiled to Guam in 1901 from Ilocos Norte as a Filipino nationalist.
The Island Attorney, in charge of prosecuting cases on behalf of the government, was Tomas Anderson Calvo, the great-grandfather of the present Governor of Guam, Eddie B. Calvo.
There was also a Circuit Judge, Luis Torres, and his secretary Nicolas Lazaro, who were responsible for going into the rural villages to hear cases.