Wednesday, September 12, 2012

CHEW ON THIS

sabotagetimes.com

"When I was a little girl, in Hagåtña before the war, I used to spend a lot of time at the neighbor's.  There was an old lady, the grandmother, who ran the house.  She used to take care of me a lot.

Some years after the war, when I was a bit older, she would tell me, 'I made you live!  I fed you!'

According to her, I was so young and had no teeth, that she would chew food first and then give it to me to eat."

"Annai påpåtgon ha' yo' trabia, giya Hagåtña åntes de gera, sesso yo' malak i bisino.  Eståba un biha, i guella, yan guiya må'gas gi gima'.  Guiya pumulan yo' lokkue'.

Unos kuåntos åños despues de gera, annai esta yo' la amko', sesso ha sangåne yo', 'Guåho muna' lå'la' hao!  Guåho muna' chochocho hao!'

Segun guiya, pot i demasiao dikkike' ha' yo' trabia, ha ngångåse yo' ni nengkanno' ya despues de ha ngångas ha nå'e yo' para bai hu kånno'."

Note

This was the custom of the ngångåse, chewing food for a toothless child or even a toothless older person and then giving it to them to consume or, in the case of betel nut, to chew in softer form.

No comments:

Post a Comment