Tuesday, May 8, 2012

ZDRAVSTVUJTYE : OR HELLO TO RUSSIAN FANS

af.wikipedia.org

How often do you and I (on Guam) think of RUSSIA???

I must admit, for myself, very rarely.  Until my blog started attracting a lot of hits from Russia in the last few months.

Here are the latest statistics about the people checking out this blog.  From the first day it started till now, these are the TOP FIVE places of origin of people viewing this blog :


UNITED STATES
15,075

GUAM
11,396

PHILIPPINES
  1,090

RUSSIA
  1,025

SPAIN
     797



As you can see, Spain has been eclipsed by Russia.  And the Philippines could soon cede its third place to Russia as well.

Why all this interest in Guam from the Russians?

I'd like to think it may have something to do with tourism.  The Russians have already been going to Saipan on holiday, and the Saipanese think a lot more of Russia than we do.  Many shops in Saipan have signs in Russian.

jenandstaninsaipan.blogspot.com
This Russian sign in Saipan welcomes Russian tourists to Kinpachi Restaurant.  What looks like PECTOPAH to you and me is RESTORAN in the Russian (Cyrillic) alphabet.

We do not realize just how geographically CLOSE we are to Russia, which is a huge country, most of which is actually in Asia, not Europe!

Check out the map :


It's not much farther to Saipan from Vladivostok, Russia as it is from Japan!

My father, in the late 60s and early 70s, would ship his motorcycle from Guam to Vladivostok, then fly to Tokyo, take the ferry on the other side of Japan to Vladivostok and pick up his bike and ride the Trans-Siberian Railroad to Moscow and all points west.

So, I guess I'm doing part, maybe, per this blog, in promoting Guam tourism among the Russians!  Molodyets!  Good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment