Friday, August 26, 2011

EARTHQUAKE PRAYER

catastrophe.org

My grandmother's sister taught me to say this prayer, in Spanish, every time the earth shook (linao).  She learned it from her mother, born in Hagåtña in 1874.

Aplaca, Señor, tu ira, 
por tu justicia y tu rigor;
dulce nombre de María; 
¡misericordia, Señor!
Jesús, José y María, 
Joaquín y Ana,
no me desamparen, 
ni de noche, ni de día.

(Placate, Lord, your anger, because of your justice and rigor;
sweet name of Mary; mercy, Lord!
Jesus, Joseph and Mary, Joachim and Anne,
do not abandon me, neither by night nor by day.)
 
 
My mañaina (elders) only said that prayer when the earth started to rumble, but in other families it was said before a typhoon or some other natural calamity or threat.

Esta oración me enseñó la hermana de mi abuelita para rezar cuando haya terremoto.

2 comments:

  1. Growing up in San Jacinto, Masbate in the island of Ticao in the Philippines, this was a prayer we said in rapid fire as children in our ancestral home more than seven decades ago, not knowing what it meant. Now thanks to Google I know now that it is an earthquake prayer. I would be glad to share this info with my elder sisters who are now in their 70's and 80's the purpose of this prayer. Thus befitting a country prone to earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be said during any natural calamity, not just earthquakes but that's the only time I heard my elders say it. But others have told me their elders said it before a typhoon came also.

      Delete