Saturday, June 1, 2013

YOU KNOW YOU'RE CHAMORRO WHEN....

GERMAN MEASLES BECOMES...

simplynetworking.es

...GERMAN MISSILES

brianz.org


Sometime ago I was speaking with an elderly man and he brought up the subject of how many members of his family, during his father’s time in the 1910’s, died of the sarampión.
I had never heard that word before, sarampión.
So I asked him, “Håfa sarampión?”  “What is sarampión?”
And he replied, “German missiles.”
Now, keep in mind he pronounced “missiles” like “missals.”  To rhyme with “whistles,” not “hair styles.”
So, I said, “Ta’lo fan?”  “Say it again, please?”
And he repeated, “German missiles.”
So I just kept wondering, “Why would the German ships come here and fire missiles and kill a whole bunch of people in the 1910s?  The Germans never fired a single shot here in the 1910s.”  But I dropped the subject.
A few days later I bumped into an older lady and asked her, “Håfa sarampión?”
And she said, “German measles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment