Tuesday, November 17, 2020

MAOLEK PARA STROKE

 

When I was young, Vicks was the cure for almost anything. The ad pictured above is from 1965 when it cost less than a dollar. Vicks might be an American product but it became as Chamorro as red rice.

Just to show how Chamorro a medicine Vicks is, here's an actual conversation I had with an 80-year-old lady from the south of Guam not long ago :

Guiya : Ai Påle' sa' stroke yo' nigap.
(Her : Oh Father, I had a stroke yesterday.)
Guåho : Ha? Håfa ma susede?
(Me : Huh? What happened?)
Guiya : Makmåta yo' ya annai malak i kemmon yo' ya hu li'e' gi espehos na gaige gi matå-ho i labios-ho, ayo na hu tungo' na stroke yo'.
(Her : I woke up and when I went to the bathroom and I saw in the mirror that my lip was up to my eyes, that's when I knew I had a stroke.)
Guåho : Ya ti ma konne' hao para i espitåt?
(Me : And they didn't take you to the hospital?)
Guiya : Este siha? Ti bisnes-ñiha yanggen malångo yo'. Hu palala'i Vicks ya sige de hu lasa.
(Her : These (her family)? It's none of their business if I'm sick. I rubbed Vicks and kept massaging it.)




VERSIÓN ESPAÑOLA
(traducida por Manuel Rodríguez)

BUENO PARA EL DERRAME CEREBRAL 

Cuando yo era joven, Vicks era la cura para casi cualquier mal. El anuncio que se muestra arriba es de 1965 cuando costaba menos de un dólar. Vicks podría ser un producto de origen estadounidense, pero se volvió tan chamorro como el arroz rojo.

Solo para mostrar cuán chamorro se hizo este remedio, aquí una conversación real que tuve con una señora de 80 años del sur de Guam no hace mucho tiempo:

Ella: Oh padre, ayer tuve un derrame cerebral.

Yo: ¿Eh? ¿Qué pasó?

Ella: Me desperté y cuando fui al baño y vi en el espejo que mi labio llegaba hasta mis ojos, fue cuando supe que tenía un derrame cerebral.

Yo: ¿Y no te llevaron al hospital?

Ella: ¿Éstos (su familia)? No es de su incumbencia si estoy enferma. Me froté Vicks y seguí masajeando.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment