Friday, February 23, 2018

KÅNTA : TRISTE NA MOVIE



In October of 1961, Sue Thompson's single Sad Movies Make Me Cry reached the number 5 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

A Chamorro version was made and Larry Saralu recorded it.




LYRICS


Ilek-ña para u facho'cho' ya humånao yo' para i movie.
(S/he said s/he was going to work and I went to the movies.)
Matå'chong yo' gi siya pues ma puno' i kandet.
(I sat in the seat and then they turned off the lights.)
Ya åntes ha' de u ma tutuhon i litråto
(And just before they started the picture)
hu li'e' mismo i atungo'-ho yan asaguå-ho.
(I saw the very one I knew and my wife/husband.)

Eståba yo' guihe lao ti ma repåra
(I was there but they didn't notice)
ya matå'chong i dos gi me'nå-ho na siya.
(and the two sat in the seats in front of me.)
Na umachiko i dos ai iho måtai yo'.
(When the two kissed each other I died, son.)
Gi durånten man boniton litråto na tumånges yo'.
(During nice movies I cried.)

O triste na movie muna' kåti yo'.
(Oh a sad movie made me cry.)

Kahulo' yo' ya må'pos yo' para iya håme.
(I got up and left for our place.)
Ha faisen yo' si nåna lao sen ti hu sangåne.
(Mother asked me but I said nothing.)
Hu bira i rason-ho ya sige de hu dagi.
(I changed my reason and continued to lie.)
Ilek-ho triste na movie muna' kåti yo'.
(I said sad movies made me cry.)


NOTE

Tånges is crying in the sense of tears flowing from the eyes. Kåti is the audible kind of crying and can also mean any audible scream, as in to honk a car's horn, or the cries of birds.



 ORIGINAL



No comments:

Post a Comment