Friday, January 9, 2015

ALLÁ EN EL RANCHO GRANDE...CHAMORRO STYLE



Today, one finds many people wanting to strip the Chamorro language of any foreign influence.

Interestingly, this is a new attitude, and individuals are certainly free to have it. I wonder where it comes from. It certainly doesn't come from our mañaina, who borrowed left and right!

They borrowed musical tunes as well as vocabulary, without feeling that they were any less Chamorro for doing so.

Take, for example, the Mexican folk song, "Allá en el rancho grande."  The tune is borrowed and, in this Chamorro version, English words are incorporated to make for a humorous song.

The chorus remains the same, in Spanish :

Allá en el rancho grande, allá donde vivía;
había una rancherita, que alegre me decía, que alegre me decía.

Then the Chamorro verses go :

Bai fa'tinåse hao lancho-mo, lånchon lanchero;
bai fa'tinåse hao dega-mo, degan kuero.
(I will make for you a ranch, a rancher's ranch;
I will make for you slippers, leather slippers.)

Allá en el rancho grande.....

Bai fa'tinåse hao talayå-mo, talåyan "wire;"
bai fa'tinåse hao karetå-mo, humåhånao sin "tire."
(I will make for you a net, a wire net;
I will make for you a car, which runs without tires.)

No comments:

Post a Comment