Thursday, March 28, 2024

KÅNTAN KUARESMA : ASI'E' ASAINA

 

This Chamorro penitential hymn (a song of sorrow for one's sins) is sung in Saipan, Tinian and Luta (Rota) but is unknown on Guam. It's been sung in Saipan since before World War II. Many people, especially the older folks, can sing at least the first verse and chorus from memory.

The words are inspired by an old hymn in Latin called Miserere et Parce, which means "Have mercy and spare." This suggests that whoever wrote the Chamorro knew the Latin hymn and what it meant, so probably one of the missionary priests or perhaps a very educated Chamorro.

The recording was live at a Mass at Kristo Rai Church, Garapan, Saipan.




LYRICS

Asi'e' Asaina, asi'e' i sengsong-mo (1)
ya un na' fan libre nu i sen guaguan hagå'-mo.
(PardonLord, pardon your people
and free them through your most precious blood.)

1. O yo'ase' Yu'os-ho gai ase' nu guåho;
i dångkulon kompasion-mo u funas todo i isao-ho. (2)
(O my merciful God, have mercy on me;
your great compassion will erase all my sins.)

2. Un fa'gåse todo i chine'tan-ho,
pot todo i isao-ho; un nå'e yo' ginasgås-ho.
(You wash away all my defects,
on account of my sins; you give me purity.)

3. Sen mañotsot yo' ni linachi-ho;
ya i isao-ho gagaige ha' gi me'nå-mo.
(I truly repent of my errors,
and my sins are always before you.)

4. Umisao yo' Asaina ya hågo hu isague;
gi me'nan i inatan-mo i linachi-ho nai hu cho'gue.
(I have sinned Lord and offended you;
before your sight I have committed by sins.)

5. Nina' magof hao nu i sinsero korason-ho;
gi hinalom-ho un fanå'gue yo' tai ine'son.
(You are pleased with my sincere heart;
within me you have taught me tirelessly.)


NOTES

(1) Songsong means a community, a village,  but by extension it means the people who make up that community or village.

(2) Kompasion is a Spanish loan word and is used and understood by older Chamorros, but not as much as yine'ase', meaning the same thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment