Friday, April 6, 2012

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES


My grandma's family was very involved in the life of Saint Jude parish, Sinajaña.  My grandma's sister, Ana Torres Reyes, was in charge of the Sånto Entiero above.  I remember she was helped at different times by Auntie Tera' Kaila or Auntie Chilang and Auntie Titde, both Boñao.  I could be wrong but I think my Auntie Sally, who was a beautician, had a wig of real human hair made for the Sånto Entiero.  Holy Thursday was spent in the second sacristy fixing up the Sånto Entiero for Good Friday.


That's Auntie Ana on the left, my grandma's sister, with her husband Vicente Camacho Reyes.  She passed away in 1984 and others now prepare the Sånto Entiero for Good Friday, but it's the same statue and the same clothing from way back.


Auntie Chong (above), Asuncion Perez Torres, my grandma's youngest sister, was in charge of the Monumento at Saint Jude's.  That's the Altar of Repose used on Holy Thursday.  She was helped by different people, including Tan Kai Balentin, who always provided flowers.  The picture below is this year's Monumento, and Auntie Chong died in 1984 as well, and though every year the Monumento looks slightly different, my Auntie always used red (the Precious Blood) and white (the Sacred Host) to symbolize the Eucharist and that hasn't changed.  One of her nephews, Uncle Ning, my mother's brother, still helps in this way.


Sinajaña's Monumento in 2012.  The tradition is still alive : red and white!

THE TANORES

I was a tanores (altar boy) as soon as I could join; almost the day after I received First Communion in the 2nd grade.  On Good Friday, we spent the whole day at church; there was no school.  Since people flowed in all night to venerate the Sånto Entiero, we would hang around the church till midnight when we closed the church.  And, after having abstained from meat and worked hard the whole day, we would all get in one or two cars or pick-up trucks and drive 3 minutes to the Agaña McDonald's to eat Big Macs and Quarter Pounders as soon as it was officially Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment